domingo, 20 de julio de 2008

El Camino de Muerte

This weekend we went to Coroico, riding a bus on the Road of Death. Its name derives from its record of the highest mortality rate in the world. I wasn't worried until we went around the first corner- I totally understand the name. It was like riding a really, really bad roller coaster. The bus had no shocks, we felt every bump from the unpaved road. The road dips and twists unexpectedly, cars appear out of nowhere, and as we drive through clouds trucks materialize like ghosts. Coroico is a small city on a hill, much warmer and lower than La Paz. It took leaving La Paz to realize a few things I hadn't noticed. There are no clouds or trees in La Paz. When I saw these things again for the first time weeks, I was surprised to say the least.

We stayed at the Hotel Esmeralda, it was lovely. Marie, Alex and I shared a room overlooking the mist-covered, tropical mountains. We had lunch in a German restaurant, it was delicious food, most people ordered these German noodles and beef. Swati and I shared a veggie pizza and for dinner we went to Bamboo, the best Mexican food I've ever had. The burritos were out of this world. Afterwards, our group spent the night hanging out and drinking wine in the social room of our hotel. The ride back was uneventful but it felt longer. It's good to be back in La Paz.

This week Kristen and I will work in Hospital de los Ninos, for which I am very excited. Last week we worked in Boliviano Holandes. Dra Gemio was less engaging than Dra Gutierrez but still very sweet and knowlegeable. Holandes has much more money and resources than Hospital de los Andes. Holandes is three stories tall, with many doctors and nurses bustling everywhere, announcements floating over the PA system. Dr. Chavez let us follow him one morning in the NICU, it was so wonderful. He took pains to explain the biochemical processes involved behind the medical procedures we witnessed. I am in such awe of the grace and wisdom these doctors so effortlessly display. And the best part is there is still more to come.

No hay comentarios: